A PAN Card has various benefits. It serves as a valid identity proof to open a bank account, get loans and credit cards and also for getting a job. It also helps track the monetary transactions of individuals and is an essential document that one needs to furnish when making a cash transaction of Rs 50,000/- and above. Keeping all these things in mind, getting a PAN card is quite important.
One can apply for a PAN card either online or offline by filling up the PAN application form and submitting it along with a list of documents that include an identity proof, address proof, proof of date of birth and two passport-size photographs. This article delves deeper and fetches out a complete list of documents required to apply for a new PAN card.
Proof of Identity
To validate your identity for getting a PAN card, you can use either of the following documents:
- An Aadhaar card issued by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India)
- Driving License
- An elector’s photo Identity card
- Arms License
- Ration Card with an applicant’s photograph on it
- Photo Identity card issued by Central/state government or by any public sector undertaking
- Original identity certificate signed by the member of parliament/legislative assembly or municipal councilors or a Gazetted officer.
- Pension card with an applicant’s photograph on it
- Original bank certificate on the letterhead from the branch that should contain the name and the stamp of the officer issuing the certificate. It should also have an attested photo and bank account detail of the applicant.
Proof of Address
Along with the identity proof, you will also have to enclose an address proof along with your PAN card application. Any of the following lists of documents can be enclosed with the form.
- Driving license
- Passport of the spouse
- Aadhaar Card issued by the UIDAI
- Post office passbook with an applicant’s address mentioned on it
- Any recent property tax assessment order
- Any domicile certificate issued by the government
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- House Allotment letter issued by the central or state government, not older than 3 months
- Property registration certificate
- An original copy of an employee certificate
- Original identity certificate signed by the Member of Parliament/Legislative Assembly or municipal councilors or a Gazetted officer.
In addition to this, you can also use any of the following as an address proof. However, note that it should not be older than 3 months.
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Credit card statement
- Bank account statement
- Landline phone or broadband connection bill
- Depositary account statement
- Piped gas bill or Consumer gas connection card or book
Proof of Date of Birth (DoB)
Any of the following documents can be used in the PAN card application to verify proof of date of Birth-
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving license
- Domicile certificate issued by the government
- An affidavit that has been sworn in front of the magistrate affirming the date of birth
- Birth certificate issued by the municipal corporation or by any organization authorized to provide birth certificates. Birth certificate issued by the Indian Consulate can also be used to validate your DoB.
Furthermore, you will also need a 2 recent passport size photo for the PAN Card application.
Note: You can submit any of the following documents as a proof of address, identity, and date of Birth to apply for the new PAN card. To keep it simple, you can even use any one document that can suffice for all the three categories.