Aadhar Card is now Becoming one of the most Important Identity proof. When we enroll to obtain Aadhar Card we have to Provide several Identity Proof Retina Scan and Biometric Data is one of them. By observing Aadhar Privacy Breach UIDAI raised concerns about the security of personal information that they may share when they do biometric authentication using Aadhaar. EKYC basis is explained below, stay tuned.
Earlier according to Thehindubusinessline Many Aadhar User’s data have been Leaked by Government Portal. To secure this type of privacy breach UIDAI added new features to Lock and Unlock Aadhar Details of Aadhar Holder online. The main reason behind this step is Privacy Protection of Aadhar Holder because nowadays many banks or your SIM provider using the facility called EKYC Also known as Biometric based e-KYC to validate the proof.
Aadhar Based e-KYC?
KYC Means “KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER”. Let’s Understand Aadhar e-KYC Concept with Practical Example.
When we Enroll for Aadhar card at our nearest Aadhar Card Kendra We have to go through our Identity verification. For aadhar Enrollment, UIDAI takes our Biometrics like Retina Scan and Finger-Print copy and store our Data in their Servers to make our Aadhar Card. (This Data will be used later to make aadhar). UIDAI also store our Information like Name, Surname, Mobile Number, Gender, Address etc.
Now Let’s Assume You want to Open a Bank Account for that You need to Provide them Identity Proof copies but instead of accepting the photocopy of Aadhaar, banks started using “Biometric EKYC”. Many Service Provider has also started Using the e-KYC system for the Verification of their SIM Card Users.
Now the banker will enter your Aadhaar number into an Aadhaar-based authentication system. In the next step, in order to access to your KYC details, You have to Provide your fingerprint. If the fingerprint scanned at the device matches with the one in the Aadhaar database, then it’s approved you don’t need to provide any hard-copy of your Aadhar Card. The Process is very Secure and completely eliminate Paperwork.
Once someone does an e-KYC using your Aadhaar number, then immediately you will receive an email and SMS message to your phone registered with them. Let’s see How you can Lock and Unlock your Aadhar Biometrics at Online at UIDAI Portal.
Lock Aadhaar Online at UIDAI?
Follow the simple steps to Lock and Secure your Aadhar Information:
- You can Lock your Aadahar Biometrics at UIDAI Official Portal.
- In the next step you can see 2 Boxes. In the first Box enter your 12 Digit Aadhar Number and to verify You are a Human enter given Security Code in second Box. After that Click on Send OTP Button to get OTP.
NOTE: You can get OTP only on your Registered Mobile Number. So, it’s ready with your Mobile Phone. Registered Mobile Number is essential to avail this service. In case your mobile number is not registered with Aadhaar visit the nearest Enrolment Centre/Mobile Update End Point.
- The OTP will be sent through an SMS. To the registered mobile phone number, after that Enter Given OTP on the same page. (OTP will be Valid for Only 30 Minutes so make sure it doesn’t Expire)
- Now in the Next step Verify the OTP and Click on “ENABLE” Button. (ENABLE Button is used to Lock your Aadhar Details)
- After Complete Process you will receive one SMS from UIDAI that You have successfully LOCKED Your Biometrics Details.
What happens when Biometrics is locked?
Locked Biometrics ensures the Aadhaar holder will not be able to use their Biometrics fingerprints/iris) for authentications thus preventing potential misuse.
Unlock Aadhaar Online
Now, whenever we want to give Someone our Aadhar Details for Authentication we have to Unlock our aadhar card first. The Process of Unlocking of Aadhar Details is Similar to the Previous Process.
NOTE:- UNLOCKING AADHAR IS TEMPORARY. ONCE YOU UNLOCK YOUR AADHAR IT WILL REMAIN UNLOCK FOR ONLY 10-15 MINUTES THEN IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY LOCK.
- First Visit the Same UIDAI Biometric Locking Link Given above.
- Like the Previous Method Enter your 12 digit Aadhar Number and Security Code and Get OTP.
- Once you get OTP It will remain active for only 30 Minutes so within 30 Minutes Verify your Mobile number by entering the OTP.
- After Login You can see 2 Option “UNLOCK” and “DISABLE”. To unlock aadhar temporary Click on UNLOCK tab but to completely Disable this Feature Click on DISABLE Option and your aadhar Biometrics will remain Unlock permanently.
- After completing one of the Given action You will receive one SMS of The Action You have Taken given above.
So, We hope that You all get the Idea behind Locking and Unlocking aadhar Biometrics details Online. If you still are facing any issue You can contact us by shooting an Email on our Contact Us Page.
Read More: Download Aadhhar Card by Name & DOB
Visuals for EKYC, hope this helps.